Marriage License Information
The following are requirements when applying for a marriage license in the State of Florida:
- You must have a state issued driver license/identification or a valid passport
- Both applicants must apply at the Clerk’s Office in person
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- If the parties have children in common that were born in the State of Florida, they must complete the form Affirmation of Common Children (available at the Clerk’s Office)
- If either of the parties applying have been previously married, they will be required to provide the date the last marriage ended and how the marriage ended (divorce or death of spouse)
- You must provide your social security number
- Parties must sign a form indicating they have read the family law handbook provided by the Clerk’s Office, and whether or not they took a premarital course
The fee and waiting period for a marriage license is as follows:
- Marriage license with pre-marital course - $57.00, no waiting period (certificate of course completion required)
- Marriage license without pre-marital course - $86.00, license is effective three days from the date of issuance
- Nonresidents - $86.00, waiting period is waived
If the applicants are under 18 years of age, but at least 16 years of age, the following is required:
- A birth certificate and proof of identification, along with a notarized written consent under oath from both parents/legal guardian (consent forms are available at the Clerk’s Office)
If the applicant is under 16 years of age, the applicant must obtain consent from the County Court judge.
In extreme circumstances the three day waiting period may be waived by the Clerk of Court or the County judge.
After receiving your marriage license, please keep these things in mind:
- The license is valid only in the state of Florida
- You must return the marriage license to the Clerk’s Office within 10 days of the date of marriage
- The marriage license is only valid for 60 days from the date of issuance
- You must only use black ink when signing and completing the license
- The fee to amend your marriage license is $30.00. If you notice any incorrect information on your marriage license, you must advise the deputy clerk at the time the license is issued. Once you leave the Clerk’s Office with the marriage license the amended fee will be charged
- The Clerk’s Office does not perform wedding ceremonies. Any notary or ordained minister may perform your ceremony
- Although not required, you may have witnesses present for your marriage
Forms can be located on the Forms page.
Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please arrive no later than 4:00 p.m.