By Florida law, the Clerk's Office is the only office in the county authorized to accept and maintain an Official Record of all legal documents such as deeds, mortgages, and judgments that would affect title ownership to land located in DeSoto County. These legal documents are accepted and recorded in the Clerk's Official Record and are then available for viewing by the public.
The original documents, listed individually below, are brought in or mailed to the Recording Department. The Recording Department copies, scans, records the date and time the document was filed, adds the document to the book of Official Records and returns the original document by mail to the sender the next day. The Microfilm Department captures these various records on microfilm for public viewing and for permanent, off-site storage.
In accordance with Florida Statutes 28.222 and 28.223, the Clerk of the Circuit Court is mandated to be the recorder of all documents required or authorized by law. The following list contains the only documents that can be recorded:
- Bills of sale
- Notices of claims of lien, releases of lien
- Notices of levy
- Tax warrants
- Tax executions
- Other instruments relating to the ownership, transfer or encumbrance of or claims against real property or any interest in it
- Satisfactions of mortgages
- Powers of attorney
- Notices of lies pendens
- DD214--military discharges
- Certified copies of bankruptcy and orders concerning bankruptcy
- Subdivision plats
- Condominium plats
- Death certificates
- Wills and codicils
- Letters of administration
- Orders concerning real property
- Final judgments
- Declaration of domicile (affidavit of residency)
- Marriage license
- Any instrument relating to or affecting real property
The fee for recording a document is $10.00 for the first page and $8.50 for each additional page of the same document. Your document will be recorded on the day it is received by the Recording Department and placed in the mail the next day to be returned to you.
Click here for our complete list of recording fees.
Recording Contact Information:
Phone Number 863-993-4876